Sunday 12 February 2012

Winter weather calls for one thing only...soup!


Every year I suffer with the same problem. In summer, I go around complaining to anyone who will listen that I'm sick of the heat and that I can't wait for the snow and ice of winter, but a few months into winter I do the complete opposite and complain about how I'm sick of having frozen limbs and can't wait for the humidity and bare legs of summer.

To soften the pain the one thing I absolutely love doing during winter is making soups of all kind. I like to think of myself as a bit of a master of soups, if I'm honest. It's just that I haven't made a bad batch of soup to date! 

Yesterday I made this asparagus soup which I blended up with the new blender I got for my birthday. Here's the recipe to share with you all: 

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
400g fresh asparagus, finely chopped
500ml vegetable stock
salt and pepper
4 tablespoons double cream

1) Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and fry the onion for a few minutes until it's softened up.
2)Add the asparagus and fry it with the onions until that has softened up too.
3) Add the vegetable stock to the mix and boil it. Season the soup with the salt and pepper and let it simmer for around 5-7 minutes.
4) Add the cream and blend the soup until it's silky smooth. 

By the way, you can also add any other green vegetables to this is you feel like it. I added in some peas and it made a nice addition to the soup. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment